Good morning everyone,
Here are a number of items I’ve run into this week:
- The Star of Bethlehem – A friend from my church’s worship team gave this to me:
This video is ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING – and, I believe, worth the hour I spent to watch it! And all new information to me. VERY compelling. I think you’ll like it. This guy ties together prophecies in Genesis 49 with Revelation 12 as well as the account of the magi in Matthew 2 regarding Christ’s birth. And he correlates all this with what the night-time sky would’ve looked using this software program that allows you to do that. But more than that he also, speaks about the crucifixion and Peter’s sermon in Acts 2 where Peter quotes Joel.
- Merry Christmas from Stand to Reason. This is a good ~1 minute video explaining the meaning of Christmas: http://www.str.org/videos/merry-christmas-from-stand-to-reason#.VJK80nssMyo
- Jonathan Wells: A Critique of Darwinist Icons (Icons of Evolution). This is a VERY LONG video (almost 2 hours). I’m only 25 minutes into it so far, but, from what I’ve seen it is worthwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3aShKST1A Here is the description given on youtube:
Following Jonathan Wells’s acclaimed book, Icons of Evolution, this video lecture/interview with Dr. Wells focuses on 6 of the 10 icons in the book. Wells shows how biology textbooks distort the scientific evidence to promote Darwinian evolution and the naturalistic philosophy that underlies it. Darwin called his theory “descent with modification.” In the first half of his lecture Wells tackles “descent” by examining three textbook icons: Darwin’s Tree of Life, Homology in Vertebrate Limbs, and Haeckel’s Embryos. In the second half of his lecture Wells examines “modification” with a close look at three more icons: the Peppered Moths, Darwin’s Finches, and Four-Winged Fruit Flies.
- The Bible and Homosexuality (Video) ~6 ½ minutes long. This is a good treatment of this sensitive topic – well worth your time to watch it: http://www.str.org/articles/the-bible-and-homosexuality-video#.VJLAJ3ssMyp
- Having Conversations Full of Grace and Seasoned with Salt: Advice to the Christian Debater – good reminders: http://crossexamined.org/conversations-full-grace-seasoned-salt-advice-christian-debater/
- Sexual Immorality and Five Other Reasons People Reject Christianity: http://donjohnsonministries.org/sexual-immorality-and-five-other-reasons-people-reject-christianity/
- Keller and the Exclusivity of Christ – this article analyzes an interchange between Tim Keller and Martin Bashir during an interview done in 2008. Here is a snippet – “Dear brothers and sisters: We have not been commissioned to gain a hearing with unbelieving culture. It is not our job to repackage the message in just such a way that it will be attractive to the world. It will never be attractive to the world. If it is, it’s not the message we’ve received.” http://thecripplegate.com/keller-and-the-exclusivity-of-christ/
- Pastor James MacDonald…”Are You Saved”? Eternal Destination…Don’t Get This One Wrong! (47 minute video sermon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRUTknpA7Q&feature=youtu.be
- The Atheist Garage: http://adam4d.com/atheist-garage/ (Good cartoon with analogy)
- Do Christians “Cherry Pick” the Bible? http://bockshiner.hubpages.com/hub/Do-Christians-Cherry-Pick-the-Bible
- Gravity True For You But Not For Me [Kindle Edition] – free book: http://www.amazon.com/Gravity-True-You-But-Not-ebook/dp/B006XG0ID4/
- Stuff Christians Say that Makes Jewish People Cringe – “As a Jewish man who believes in Jesus, I have ample opportunity to hear what Christians say.”: http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014/12/16/stuff-christians-say-that-make-jewish-people-cringe/35402
- “You Can’t Use the Bible to Prove the Bible” . . . And Other Stupid Statements: http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2013/09/you-cant-use-the-bible-to-prove-the-bible-and-other-stupid-statements/
- An Introduction To Jesus (Sermon by Charles Stanley) Jesus came to earth as a human being to identify with our struggles and to redeem us from sin through His sacrifice on the cross. Jesus did that for us so that we could spend an eternity with Him in heaven. In this sermon, Dr. Stanley uses Scripture to answer common questions about Jesus: http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/video-archives/content/topic/An_Introduction_To_Jesus_video
- Exodus Movie Reviews:
- Moses Without the Supernatural — Ridley Scott’s “Exodus: Gods and Kings” – Movie review of the Exodus movie: http://www.albertmohler.com/2014/12/15/moses-without-the-supernatural-ridley-scotts-moses-gods-and-kings/
- Exodus, the Movie: https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/exodus-the-movie/
- Thomas Kidd on the Pilgrims – This was a pretty good podcast on the background of the pilgrims (separatists / puritans) that established the colony coming off of the Mayflower (53 minutes): http://www.researchonreligion.org/historical-topics/thomas-kidd-on-the-pilgrims-encore-presentation
- Mormons grappling with their history: http://www.mbcpathway.com/2014/12/10/mormons-grappling-with-their-history/
- The Right and Wrong Reasons to Pursue Apologetics: https://chab123.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/the-right-and-wrong-reasons-to-pursue-apologetics/
- Jehovah’s Witness Role Play (52 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNNqBRpv2Bk&feature=youtu.be I found this at http://apologeticfront.com/, which has a lot of other information about JW’s.
- 10 Things Every Christian Should Know About Islam: http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/10-things-every-christian-should-know-about-islam/
Enjoy and have a great week!