Currently, we are reading the book Unsilenced: How to Voice the Gospel by James Boccardo. It is a great book about evangelism that also includes some information about Apologetics.
In class this past Sunday, we started reading chapter 8 ‘The Varsity Team’. The chapter seems to focus on some more advanced topics such as Mormonism and Jehovah’s Witness. We also watched a short video on the following topic:
“Which Jesus Do You Follow?” by Living Waters
It is a 2 minute 43 second video which examines some of the false conceptions of Jesus that other religions subscribe to. It was a good introduction to the content of the first part of this chapter.
We read pages 139-151 during our time together. Here are the notes that we discussed after the reading:
- (pg. 140-142) What 2 things to Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses have in common that distinguishes them from Christians?
- (pg. 143-144) What does 2 Nephi 25:23 (in the Book of Mormon) say and how does that compare with Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5 and Galatians 2:21?
- (pg. 144-145) Did David forfeit his inheritance in heaven because of his adultery with Bathsheba, or was he saved despite his many sins? Why and how?
- (pg. 145) How would you respond to the argument that Abraham was saved by good works based on James 2:21?
- (pg. 146) We’re not saved from _____ and don’t enter ______ by ________: only through _______. That _______ will result in _______ because of the _________ that God gives us.
- (pg. 147-151) Where in the New Testament does it say that Jesus is God? Explain the difference between ‘direct references’ and ‘indirect references’.
- (pg. 150-151) Does the phrase ‘firstborn’ in Colossians 1:15 mean that Jesus is not eternal? What does Psalm 89:27 tell us about the phrase ‘firstborn’?
Next week we will probably be finishing chapter 8, reading about the following topics:
- What if you meet a “Christian”?
- What if I meet someone of another religion that I know nothing about?
- Evolution – your grandpa wasn’t a monkey
Thanks for participating!