We’ve now been through 18 days of shut-down. I have to be blunt about this. We MUST open this economy back up. I tolerated the 15 day shut-down, but adding the additional month was the wrong decision. Here are the reasons why:
- Hydroxychloroquine is working both in the United States and across the world according to a poll of over 6,000 doctors (see article and article from CDC)
- Other treatments (or potential treatments) exist:
- We can walk and chew gum at the same time (see article here)
- We have ability to know who’s immune to this (see article on antibody testing)
- The United States is not “monolithic”. We can’t have a one-size-fits-all approach for the crisis. Remember, we have a Federalist system and each state can implement policies that make sense for their individual situations (see article here)
- We have constitutional rights – the right to due process, the right to associate, etc. (see article here)
- The Democrat party is using this as an opportunity to ram through their liberal agenda (see article here)
- “The models” have shown inaccuracies (see article here).
- We are still well below the number of influenza deaths so far this year (24,000)
- Economic shutdown causing human suffering and, yes, death (see article here) – we are plunging millions of people into misery and poverty because of the shut-down of our economy. 1 in 4 businesses are on the brink of permanent collapse. According to the nationwide survey of roughly 500 small business owners including individuals in Alaska and Hawaii, 24 percent, or one in four said they are just two months or less from closing their doors for good (see article here)
By the way, you may want to read the real timeline of the coronavirus here so that you can see the actions taken by the Trump administration and that the right things were done early on.
This is a pivotal moment in the history of our country. We are headed for a depression if we don’t change course.
In all this, I trust God. That does not mean that I should not try to convince others to change course on this issue.