Although I’ve been having the Apologetics class at Church this year, I’ve not been posting the content. This year, I’m not teaching, but rather showing videos and facilitating discussion afterwards. Here are the videos from yesterday’s class:
First, “The Fine Tuning of the Universe”:
Second, “Evolution vs. God” movie:
Here is the note-taking form with discussion questions at the end:
Fine Tuning of the Universe and Evolution vs. God (1/28/2018)
The Fine Tuning of the Universe (Reasonable Faith)
- The fundamental c________ and quantities establish the structure and function of the universe.
- If any one of these numbers were altered, by even a hair’s breadth, no physical, interactive life of any kind could e___________ anywhere.
- Gravity – if the gravitational constant varied by just 1 in 1060 parts none of us would exist
- For comparison: # of cells in your body=1014, # of seconds ticked by so far = 1020
- Expansion rate of the universe – driven by c______________ constant. If it changed by 1 part in 10120 would cause the universe to expand too rapidly or too slowly. In either case, the universe would be “life prohibiting”.
- “Wherever physicists look, they see examples of fine tuning” – Sir Martin Rees
- “The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the d______________ of l________” – Stephen Hawking
- “If anyone claims not to be surprised by the special features the universe has, he is hiding his head in the sand. These special features are surprising and unlikely.” – David Deutsch
- Best explanation? The fine tuning is due to either:
- N______________: the universe MUST be life permitting. But there’s no reason or evidence to suggest that fine tuning is necessary.
- C___________: Did we just get really lucky? The probabilities involved are so ridiculously remote as to put the fine tuning well beyond the reach of chance. So, they postulate a “Multiverse” (a universe generator). But no scientific evidence for this.
- D_____________: Given the implausibility of necessity or chance, the best explanation for why the universe is fine-tuned is design.
- “A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a s__________________ has monkeyed with physics … and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question.” – Fred Hoyle
- “There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all … it seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the universe. The impression of d__________________ is overwhelming.” – Paul Davies
Evolution vs. God (Ray Comfort)
- A scientific method is based on “the collection of data through o_______________ and e____________________” – Science Daily
- Ray (Comfort) asks believers in evolution, “Can you think of any o___________ e_____________ for Darwinian evolution?”, but they respond with speculation about the distant past.
- Girl says monkeys are the only ones that have a 5th digit like us, but Ray responds that Koalas have a 5th digit as well.
- Ray asks, “Did we have l___________ or g__________ when we came out of the sea?”
- Believer in evolution says “Faith is something that-u___________-I have to believe it”. Ray asks, “Do you believe evolution?” Person responds yes. Ray asks, “Is evolution a belief?”
- Believer in evolution cites f_____________ on the Galapagos Islands. Ray asks, “What do the finches become?” Of course, the answer is still “finches”, still birds – no change of kinds. Ray says, “That’s called ‘a________________’ – it’s not Darwinian evolution.
- Believer in evolution admits that he can’t think of any observable evidence for evolution. Ray asks, “Well, how do you know it’s t_________?” He replies, “I’m not sure.”
- Ray says, “It’s [evolution] unobservable, because you need millions of years.”
- Ray asks if they think creation is “intelligently designed”. They say no. So, he asks them to make a r_____________.
- Professor says, “Why do you think no one is teaching intelligent design at UCLA?” Ray replies, “Because you’re not a______________ to.”
- Relative morality: Ray asks professor, “Is rape wrong?” He replies, “It is wrong in our culture.” Ray challenges, “Is rape a___________ wrong?”
- Ray asks, “Who makes the r______________?” Professor replies, “We do.” Ray asks, “So, if Hitler made the rules and he had the majority…?”
- “I don’t believe in blaspheming, since I don’t believe in God. So, if you don’t believe in God, how can you blaspheme?” Ray replies, “Well, if I don’t believe in certain laws and still violate them, ignorance of the law is no e__________. So, we’re still guilty even though we deny a law exists”
- Ray says, “Not believing in h________ doesn’t make it go away”.
- Ray says, “You know that creation is proof of a Creator…the reason you choose evolution is because it gets rid of m________________ accountability”.
- Ray asks, “How old are you?” She replies, “22. “ He says, “When are you going to die?” Her: “I have no idea.” Ray, “Well God knows exactly the moment of your d_____________. It could be tonight, it could be tomorrow. I’m not using scare tactics, this is just straight reality. 150,000 people every 24 hours die, and all making plans for next week, no doubt.”
- What is the argument from the fine tuning of the universe?
- What are the 3 possible explanations for the fine tuning of the universe?
- If scientists acknowledge the “appearance” of design in the universe and life, why don’t they believe in a “Creator God”?
- What is the “multiverse”? Why has this theory been proposed? Is it a scientific theory?
Evolution vs. God
- What did Ray Comfort mean when he asked people for observable evidence for Darwinian evolution? Were the people he interviewed able to provide any such observable evidence?
- What is the difference between adaptation and Darwinian evolution?
- Are finches on the Galapagos Islands a good example of Darwinian evolution? Why or why not?
- Are bacteria a good example of Darwinian evolution? Why or why not?
- In what way did the people interviewed exhibit blind faith?
- Why are universities and high schools prohibited from teaching intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinian evolution?
- What is the difference between absolute morality and relative morality?
- How many people die every day? Why is that important?